1) Spring-to-Spring Bike Trail. If biking is your thing, western Volusia County has you covered. When complete, the Spring-to-Spring Trail will stretch 26 miles from Gemini Springs Park to DeLeon Springs State Park. It is being designed to accommodate walkers, joggers, in-line skaters, bicyclists and people with disabilities. To date, Volusia County has completed several segments of the trail totaling nearly 15 miles.
2) Me Strong 5K. 5K races are great to hold you accountable. On January 28, 2012 the first ME STRONG Linda’s Run for the Dream took place in Historic Downtown DeLand. The race was initiated when four women, Kim Winters, Barbara Underhill, Kim Martin, and Kathy Guyer wanted to honor their friend Linda Ryan who was diagnosed with recurrent cervical cancer at the age of 43. The event has grown each year with over 2,500 participants last year raising $100,000. This is a walk/run, so it’s not just for runners. This year's event is January 28, 2017, and you can sign up here.
3) YMCA. DeLand has several gym facilities, but none more popular for families than the YMCA. There is literally something for everyone, including:
- State-of-the-Art Cardio& Strength Equipment
- Group Exercise Studios
- Cycle Studio
- Outdoor Pool with Water slide
- Heated Indoor Pool
- Locker Rooms with Showers for Men and Women
- Family Bathrooms
- Splash Park
- Indoor Basketball Gymnasium
- After School Center
5) Kayaking/Canoeing. Volusia County is fortunate to have many opportunities for paddling trails in inland waterways on the east side and on the St. Johns River on the west side. It is a great way to get exercise while enjoying pristine waters and wildlife. The county has several state-designated paddling trails. The Hontoon Dead River Paddling Trail is a 10-mile paddling trail in west Volusia County. The trail travels along the St. Johns River and around Hontoon Island. Paddlers may follow the Hontoon Dead River or Snake Creek. Also, Deleon Springs and Blue Springs parks have kayak and canoe rentals.
Whatever your flavor exercise, we wish you a healthy 2017!